At any time of the year, Vienna is one of the world’s most beautiful cities, but at Christmas time, she gets dressed in her finest and is a sight to behold . The Austrian people hold their Christmas traditions dear to their hearts and the festive season is eagerly anticipated and enjoyed by all.
- Take a photo at Belvedere. This is missed by most people, but an absolute must in .
- Visit a Christmas market. This is why most people visit in the first place. Vienna’s .
- Drink Weihnachtspunsch. A fine idea for that steaming mug of something warm is .
- Listen to an advent concert. Vienna fills with the sound of Advent concerts in .
- View the lights on the Graben and Kärntner Straße. Vienna’s Christmas lights glitter .
- Take an evening trip around the Ring. The lights don’t end there: parks, five-star .
- Walk through the Rathauspark. One of the Christmas markets along the Ring is the .
- Visit a roast chestnut stand. Every market has one. And just about every major .
- Visit the nativity scenes in St. Peter’s Church. Peterskirche (St. Peter’s church) .
- Enjoy a sausage. You can eat a sausage at one of Vienna’s many sausage stands .
- Take in a Christmas concert at Vienna’s St Stephen’s Cathedral. Cathedral. Take in a performance of …
- Enjoy festive treats at the Belvedere Palace Christmas Market. Museum. © WienTourismus / Popp …
- Explore Winter im MQ – Winter in the Museumsquartier. Museum, Building. The Museumsquartier is …
- Attend the famous New Year concert at the Schönbrunn Palace. Park. The Schönbrunn Palace has …
- Try the food on offer at the Old Viennese Christmas Market Freyung. Market. Freyung Market is said …
- Christmas in Vienna concert at Wiener Konzerthaus. Concert Hall. The beautiful Wiener …
- Skate at Vienna Ice World. Market, Amusement Park. Ice skating is very popular in Vienna in …
- Christmas Market on Rathausplatz. Market, Amusement Park. Discover Vienna’s biggest Christmas …
- Drink mulled wine at Karlsplatz Christmas market. Market. The Christmas market at Karlsplatz is a …
Along with all the gluhwein and punsch you will be drinking, you’ll need some food. Granted, good food is never hard to come by in Vienna but especially not during Christmas time. Vienna’s Christmas markets are a foodie heaven with everything from pretzels and waffles to sausages and, my personal favourite, homemade soup in a bread bowl. Yum.
- Visit Hofburg Palace. There are many Christmas markets dotted around the city of Vienna through .
- Visit the Giant Christmas Bow. Whilst you make your way around the Innere Stadt (1st District) in .
- Visit Demel Bakery. This 1786 tea salon has built a name for itself as one of the finest tea houses in .
- Step Inside the Vienna State Opera House. Still within the Innere Stadt, be sure to make your way to .
- Visit Cafe Central. Coffee house culture has a huge legacy in Vienna to this day and there is no .
- Visit a Traditional Christmas Market. Vienna is an absolute mecca for Christmas traditions and it all .
- Try Traditional Apple Strudel. Austria is renowned for its’ hearty winter cuisine and even the desserts .
- Explore Vienna by Night. As beautiful as Vienna is by day, it is even more magical by night. The city .
- Visit the traditional coffee house Cafe Schwarzenberg. There are many coffee houses to visit during .
- Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz. If there’s just one Christmas market you have to visit whilst in .
How to Spend Christmas in Vienna: A complete guide
The market opens in mid-November so there is plenty of time to buy unique Christmas gifts for the special people in your life. Vienna’s Christmas market in front of the Town Hall is a favourite with young and old.
Where the Christmas season becomes an unforgettable experience – that’s the Vienna Christmas Dream. The supporting program around the Vienna Christkindlmarkt combines the unmistakable tradition of Christmas with impressive attractions. Along the Ringstrasse, visitors can expect a.
Christmasmarket, city walkSound: Jingle Punks – First Noel (Vocals).
If you love Mozart and Strauss and Haydn, there’s a variety of classical concerts in Vienna at any time of the year. At Christmas time, they add to the magic in the Austrian capital. Best villages for a traditional Christmas in Austria Zell am See-Kaprun. It will be hard to find a more romantic setting during Christmas in Austria than around Lake Zell. The beautiful lakeside town of Zell am See with the quaint.
Christmas in Austria: The Complete Insider’s Guide
Hotel Lucia: Vienna at Christmas time. – See 1,047 traveler reviews, 303 candid photos, and great deals for Hotel Lucia at Tripadvisor.
The main streets were decorated with Christmas lights and decorations and it was magical walking along the main shopping street as it began to darken. The centre of Vienna has many lovely buildings to explore as well as visiting the Christmas markets.
The Christmas Dream. There are those who argue in favour of the smaller and more cultured alternatives in Schönbrunn or Karlsplatz, for example. But the Christmas market that garners the most attention in Vienna is the Rathausplatz version. This is the home of the Wiener Christkindlmarkt.
Christmas time in Vienna is a magical experience that has made weekend getaways in the city popular. Families, couples, and solo travelers arrive at Vienna from all over Austria and involved in things to do in Vienna for Christmas and apart from this the world to visit the many Christmas markets with their Christmas ornaments and seasonal food and beverages.
Vienna Red cards included all public transportation as a benefit. With Red Cards in hand, we began walking and stopping here and there to take in the sights. Ultimately we went to St. Stephansplatz, which was lighted outside for Christmas time and then went inside the beautiful, enormous cathedral.
Christmas Time in Vienna
Watch the Opera for children. Each year at Christmas time, the Wiener Volksoper stages special operas for children together with the Vienna State Opera. This December you can take your kids to see eighter the Grimm Brothers’ Hansel and Gretel, or the classical fairy tale Pinocchio.
It’s also called the Viennese Christmas Market and Vienna Christmas World. It is located in front of the City Hall. If you only have time for one market, do visit the Wiener Christkindlmarkt with its around 150 sales stands offering Christmas gifts and tree decorations, crafts, culinary delights, sweets and warm drinks.
Experience an unforgettable classical concert with the sounds of Mozart and Strauss in the capital of music, Vienna, in the grandiose ambience of the Orangery Schönbrunn during the Christmas time. The Schönbrunn Palace Orchestra will delight you with classical masterpieces accompanied by dance and singing. Schönbrunn Palace Orchestra awaits you at the Palace Orangery where Mozart himself.
8 hours ago A Christmas tree of more than four metres tall, which will decorate the Brussels seat of the European Parliament in December, was transported on the night train from Vienna to Brussels last night. The Nightjet, which runs three times a week between Vienna and Brussels, was equipped with a special baggage car to transport this “special guest.”.
Each year, the Christmas concert in Vienna enchants not only the Viennese, but numerous people from all over the world. The city stands out in the winter with its numerous cultural events and concerts to let you enjoy this magical and romantic time of the year.
Christmas Concerts Program in Vienna
Granate walking in public around St.Stephens Square Vienna, in pre-Christmas time, festivity illumination already started, wearing leather crotch high boots.
- Take a Walking Tour of Vienna. The best way to get to know Vienna is on foot! Bundle up and hit the …
- Learn about Vienna’s History & Culture. The history of Vienna is actually super interesting – allow …
- Hear the Sound of Music … at a Show or Concert. Vienna is the musical capital of the world! More …
- Take in the View from On High. If you didn’t get a birdseye pic for your Instagram, did you even visit …
- Celebrate Vienna’s Christmas & Winter Traditions. The streets of Vienna in the winter are awash in …
- Soak up Holiday Cheer at the Vienna Christmas Markets. Christmas Markets are an old tradition in …
- Stuff your Face with Viennese Christmas Market Food. Look: we didn’t come all the way to Vienna …
- Stuff Your Face with Viennese Food. It wouldn’t be the holidays without a boatload of delicious …
- Experience Viennese Coffee. There are many cities around the world that boast about their coffee …
- Take a Day Trip from Vienna. Vienna is a great jumping-off point and there are several fantastic day …