Bitdefender VPN: Frequently Asked Questions
Bitdefender VPN: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Bitdefender VPN?
A VPN (or Virtual Private Network) is a service that allows you to connect to the Internet via an encrypted and secure tunnel. This way, all your traffic remains private and anonymous.
Bitdefender VPN secures your online activity so that you stay protected every time you connect to unsecured wireless networks while you are in airports, malls, coffee shops or hotels. In this way, unfortunate situations such as theft of personal data, or attempts to make your device’s IP address accessible to hackers can be avoided. Banned content can also be accessed, regardless of the country that censors the internet.
2. When should I use Bitdefender VPN?
You should be careful when accessing, downloading or uploading content on the Internet. To make sure you stay safe while browsing the web, we recommend that you use Bitdefender VPN when:
• You want to connect to public wireless networks
• You want to access content that is normally blocked in certain areas, regardless of whether you are indoors or abroad
• You want to keep your personal data private (usernames, passwords, email addresses, credit card information, etc.)
• Want to hide your IP address
3. Can Bitdefender VPN be installed as a standalone app?
Bitdefender VPN is automatically installed along with your Bitdefender security solution. It can also be installed as a standalone app from the product page, from the Google Play Store & App Store.
4. What is the difference between Bitdefender VPN and Premium VPN?
Bitdefender VPN is included by default in your Bitdefender product on Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. It provides 200MB of daily traffic per device (only a 500MB daily traffic quota is included in Bitdefender Small Office Security subscriptions) and automatically connects you to the optimal server, without having to change it. You can buy a Bitdefender Premium VPN subscription to get unlimited traffic and the option to connect to any available server. The benefits of the premium version will be unlocked once the subscription is activated.
5. Will Bitdefender share my IP address and personal data shared with third parties?
No, with Bitdefender VPN your privacy is 100% secure. No one (advertising agencies, ISPs, insurance companies, etc.) will be able to access your online records.
6. Can I access restricted GEO-IP content?
With Premium VPN, you can access a wide network of virtual locations all over the world.
7. Will Bitdefender VPN have a negative impact on my device’s battery life?
Bitdefender VPN is designed to protect your personal data, hide your IP address while connected to unsecured wireless networks, and access content that is restricted in some countries. To avoid unnecessary consumption of your device’s battery, we recommend that you only use the VPN when you need it, and disconnect when you are not connected to the Internet.
8. Is Bitdefender Premium VPN a different subscription?
Yes, Bitdefender Premium VPN is a separate subscription to the Bitdefender security solution.
9. What happens when my Bitdefender security solution expires, but I still have an active Premium VPN subscription?
Once your Bitdefender subscription has expired, your device will no longer be protected from threats, and you will not be warned when trying to access dangerous websites. However, Premium VPN functionality will still be available in the product.
10. Why am I experiencing slow internet while connected to Bitdefender VPN?
Bitdefender VPN is designed to give you a light experience while browsing the web; However, your internet connection or the distance to the server you are connected to may cause slowdowns. In this case, if it is not necessary to connect from your location to a remote hosted server (eg from the US to China), we recommend that you allow Bitdefender VPN to automatically connect you to the nearest server, or find a server closer to your current location.
11. How many devices does my Premium VPN subscription cover?
Regardless of the type of subscription, Premium VPN can be used on a maximum of 10 devices simultaneously.
If your Bitdefender security solution includes a premium VPN subscription (such as Bitdefender Premium Security), the VPN will inherit the device limit in that package (10, 15, etc.). It can protect the same number of devices as your subscription to Bitdefender security solution but no more than 10 devices connected at a time.
However, if your Bitdefender security solution does not include a Premium VPN subscription (such as the Bitdefender Family Pack that covers up to 15 devices) when you purchase a VPN Premium subscription, it will only cover 10 devices, not 15.
12. How do I troubleshoot a VPN connection?
If you encounter problems while using Bitdefender VPN, you can try to solve them by following the instructions in this article – Bitdefender VPN Troubleshooting.
Was the article helpful?
Evaluation: 1.0/ 1. From 2.7K votes.
Voting is currently disabled, data maintenance is in progress.