How to Create Your Own VPN for Free (Updated 2021)
Online privacy It has become a major topic of discussion in today’s world, where ISPs and government agencies closely monitor users’ activities. This is made worse by the formulation of data retention laws Allow ISPs to store and share your private data With advertisers and other interested parties.
The entire privacy story has seen many internet users turn to VPNs in an attempt to protect their privacy and gain some level of anonymity while they are doing their online activities.
The good thing is that you can easily Create your own cloud VPN server at home Avoid being monitored by ISPs and other prying eyes.
Creating your own VPN may seem very complicated, but it does not require you to be a developer to do so. Yes, it will need you to be a little technical, but in the end the benefits will be worth it.
You can set up your own VPN without paying a fee with Amazon AWS, at least for the first year. Even if you decide to go with a hosting service like DigitalOcean, what you will pay is just a fraction of what you would have paid for premium VPN services.
Just like all other VPNs, it will transfer your data from your ISP to your cloud service provider. However, with your VPN, you can launch and connect to a new VPN server in a matter of minutes. After that, you can just delete your instance, and it will be Like a VPN server that never existed.
By being possible to get rid of them, your VPN will greatly improve your privacy. Furthermore, it will not put your data in the hands of VPN providers, who can then share it with partners or advertisers. Even though you still can’t trust Amazon and the like regarding the privacy of your data, you can trust it You will not sell your hosting data For advertisers and scammers.
However, it is important to note that setting up your VPN is in the cloud It does not help you bypass content restrictions.
however, With your VPN, you will still be able to encrypt and protect your data, which is enough for most of us. The great thing is that your data will also be largely in your hands and you can also destroy it easily.
There are many projects that allow you to create your own secure tunnel, and one of the best and most popular is Algo VPN. Basically, it is a set of scripts that enable you to set up an encrypted connection to a cloud server.
Designed by the folks at Trail of Bits, Algo VPN was meant to be easy to use while providing maximum security at the same time. One of the great things about Algo is that you can use it to create a disposable VPN.
However, there are other options like Streisand, which even helps you create an integrated Tor bridge among some other privacy-focused features. For this guide, we’ll stick with Algo VPN as the best and most secure.
Apart from Algo, you will also need a cloud server on which you will install your VPN. You can choose one of the following cloud services supported by Algo:
Digital Ocean It’s the easiest to use, and it’s $5 per month. If you want something free, you can choose Amazon EC2 which offers a free first year. However, there are a large number of limitations.
- You get 750 hours a month. This may be enough for one device, but it can build up quickly if you want to use the server on multiple devices.
- Your bandwidth will be limited to 15GB per month, which means you should avoid downloading or streaming a lot of huge files.
- After your free year ends, you will be converted to hourly wages.
DigitalOcean is quite stable in terms of pricing and is the easiest to use, but since we all love free content and might just try a self-setting VPN, we’ll start with Amazon EC2.
Algo VPN automates the VPN installation process so you don’t have to establish an SSH connection with a server and run complex command lines.
Here is the blueprint for creating your own VPN:
So let’s get started.
Step One: Create an Amazon Web Services account
- Head to and click onCreate a free account.“
- After creating and logging in, tap Services > IAM. The option is found under the Security, Identity, and Compliance tab.
- tap on “Userstab on the left.
- click “add user. “
- Create a username and click on the box next to “Automated access. “ After that, click Next.
- click Attach current policies directly.
- Type “admin” to search the policies. You find “Administrator’s accessand select its check box. Next, tap next one.
- On the last screen, tap CSV download button. This file includes a number of numbers and access keys that you will make while setting up Algo. Click Close and you’re all set.
Step Two and Four: Download and Install Algo Dependencies
Algo is installed using a file command line On a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. However, Windows users will do it You need to install Windows Subsystem for Linux So that Algo can work.
Part 1: (for Win 10 users)
The Windows Subsystem for Linux can only be installed on Windows 10.
(If you are using Mac or Linux, you can skip to Part 2)
- go to Settings.
- Choose Update and security, then press for developers.
- Designation Developer mode option for “”
- After everything is installed, click control Board, then select Software.
- click for Transform Windows Features ON or OFF
- Scroll down, and select File A box next to the Windows subsystem for Linux, then press OK. Windows will install the software, Then restart.
linux bash It is installed, and should be available when you type “crushIn the start menu. Open it and answer the few questions you will be asked. Windows will then install another set of programs.
After the process is complete, you will be at the command line. Type the following and press enter.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install python-pip python-setuptools build-basic libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev python-virtualenv git -y
Now, clone the repository with this command:
Clone git https://github.com/trailofbits/algo && cd algo
Next, go to step 5 of the second part below.
Part 2: All Users
You can easily install Algo on Mac. However, on Linux, the commands you’ll need depend on the version of Linux you’re running. You can find out what you need for Linux here.
However we have List the instructions for deb . based Linux OS.
- On Mac and Linux, download Algo and Unzip the file Wherever you want on your device. This creates a folder called algorithm.
- Open Terminal, then type CD followed by the “algo-master” directory location. To make it easier, you can just type cd and then drag and drop the algo-master directory into Terminal. You should have something like this:
cd / Users / Joeltimothy / Documents / algo-master
- Write the following:
$python -m ensurepip -user
python -m pip install –user-upgrade virtualenv
On Linux (deb based):
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install
basic syntax v
python installation tools
python-virtualenv -y For Windows, we already set this up in Part 1.
- Install the remaining Algo dependencies. Use the same Terminal window as the previous step and run:
$ python -m virtualenv -python = `ie python2` env &&
environment source/bin/activate &&
install python -m pip -U pip virtualenv &&
install python -m pip-r requirements.txt
On macOS, you may be asked to install cc. You must press accept if so.
- List of users to create.
Type sudo nano config.cfg and press Enters.
This will open a text editor. Under Users, type the name of any users you wish to create. This list is important if you want to share a VPN with friends or if you want to use it on multiple devices, go ahead and make a list.
Next, press Ctrl + X to save and exit.
- Start posting. Return to your station. Type ./algo to start the installation process. You will be asked some questions.
- For the provider, type 2 for Amazon EC2 (unless you go with another provider). Next, enter any name for your VPN and choose the server location. It is advisable to stick to a server close to you for maximum performance.
- Next, open the CSV file you downloaded from Amazon, and get the AWS Access Key and yours AWS Secret Key. Copy/paste each number from this file when prompted.
- Now, Algo will ask you for an on-demand VPN. If you want your VPN to connect automatically, say “Yes. Otherwise, you can still connect it manually when you need it. For security improvements, say yes too. All other preferences are up to you to decide what works best for you. No matter what you choose, a VPN will work just fine.
After that, Algo will now install itself on the cloud server. When it’s complete, it will tell you.
The final step now is to connect your devices to use the new VPN.
Step Five: Configure Your Devices for Your VPN
For each device you want to use with a VPN, you need to set up a profile or certificate. The process will vary depending on the device, but all the files you need are in this “algo-master” directory inside the “configs” folder.
Set up your VPN on Apple devices
The configuration file we need for both Mac or iPhone/iPad is the .mobileconfig file.
For Mac, only Double click The profile will be installed on your Mac.
For iOS, you need to open the same file on your device. You can email it, email it, upload it to a cloud service, etc. and then open it. Confirm the installation of the profile, and you will be connected. To disconnect, simply delete the profile.
Set up your VPN on Android devices
For Android, you need to install the strongSwan VPN Client app. Next, find the P12 file inside the Configs folder, send it to your Android device, and then open it with strongSwan. It will direct you from there. Should any problem arise, this guide will walk you through each part.
Setting up your VPN on Windows
Setting up a VPN on Windows is a little more complicated than on other devices, but it’s still doable.
Your VPN should start now. From there, your data should be secured from prying eyes.
Summary: These are the best VPNs to bypass geoblocks in 2021
$6.67 per month