How to set up a VPN on Android TV Box
Are you one of the millions of Android TV users? If your Android smart TV or you have an Android TV box, you can get a VPN to protect it. But how do you set up a VPN on Android TV? It’s easy – just follow this guide.
How to set up a VPN on Android TV (Box)?
It is easy to set up VPN on Android TV or Android TV Box. As long as the app of your choice is on the Google Play Store, you won’t have any issues running it. I’ll use Surfshark as an example.
Here’s how to do it:
- Find your VPN on the Google Play Store and install it.
- Open the VPN app, create an account or log in,
- Click “Connect” and that’s it!
Clicking Connect will connect you to the nearest and fastest VPN server. If for any reason you want to connect to another country, you can choose a location manually under “Locationstab.
Disclaimer: Surfshark does not encourage the use of a VPN in any manner that would violate the law or terms of service of other providers.
However, this may not work for everyone. Your TV or box may be running an older version of Android – earlier than Android 5 (Lollipop) – or you may not find the app in the Store. What can you do then? You can sideline a VPN on your device!
How to Sideload a VPN on Android TV (Box)
“Sideloading” is a term for installing an app that is not available in the Google Play Store. Sideloading a VPN is more complicated than just getting it from the store – but only a little.
Keep in mind that care must be taken when sideloading. These apps have not been tested by Google. Only use software from trusted providers.
You will need to download special configuration files before you can start working. They come from your VPN service provider. In this example, we will be using Surfshark VPN to show you how you can do it yourself.
- Log in to your Surfshark account on the website and download the configuration files. The website will recommend the server files closest to you.
- Extract the downloaded .zip files anywhere you want.
- From the Google Play Store, download and install the OpenVPN Connect client.
- Launch the OpenVPN Connect client and select the “OpenVPN Profile” option.
- Click “Menu” at the top left of the application.
- Go to the folder where you extracted the configuration files and click “Import”.
- Choose any “title” you want.
- To get the credentials, enter the automatically generated credentials that appear at the bottom of this page.
- After adding the profile, click on it to connect. If you receive any trust claims, accept them.
- The status should turn green after a connection is established.
- This is!
Secure VPN will hide your DNS and IP. To check for DNS and IP leaks, visit this page. Anyway, your connection should now be established, giving you all the benefits of a VPN. Speaking of which ones, what are those benefits?
Do I need an Android TV VPN?
Whether you have an Android TV or Android TV Box, you need a VPN for your device. Here are the three main reasons behind this:
Stream privately and buffer-free
If you wish to stream while remaining secure and confidential, you have the right to do so. Keep your VPN on even when watching Netflix with your friends or watching Netflix friends alone. And if you’re worried about losing speed, just look for a provider with good server coverage and infrastructure (like Surfshark).
In some cases, a VPN can improve your streaming speeds.
You don’t have to worry about hackers only. Internet throttling occurs when your Internet Service Provider (ISP) intentionally slows down your connection. They often do this when users are streaming video or downloading files. But a VPN can hide your internet activities. This way, the provider will not know when it is throttling your connection, and you will be able to enjoy the full capacity of your internet.
Protect your devices
The “smart” part of your Smart TV comes from the Internet. However, the internet connection itself opens up your devices to hackers and other threats. A VPN adds a good layer of protection to your TV.
Enjoy a secure and lag-free streaming experience with a VPN
Android TV is a great option when it comes to Smart TV. However, making it even better is only three short steps away. Improve your experience by getting a VPN on Android TV. Watch securely, watch privately!