How to set up and use Chromecast VPN
How to set up and use Chromecast VPN – Surfshark
- DeutschEnglishEspañolFrançaisItalianoNederlandsPolskiPortuguês (BR) Türkçe EN
- sign in
- Get Surfshark
Using Chromecast with a VPN: 2021 . Guide
Your Internet Service Provider:
Your status: Protected Unprotected
Without a VPN, you are exposed to real online threats
Data thieves look for unprotected devices, and those that don’t use encryption are easy targets.
Malware and Phishing
These types of attacks are common, and it is difficult to avoid them without protection.
If you are not using security software, you may end up having your login credentials stolen.
It’s easy for advertisers to influence your behavior if you expose all of your browsing habits.
Without a VPN, your internet provider could collect your data and sell it to advertisers.
Online businesses may show you higher prices if they see that you are in a more affluent city.
2021, August 24 · read 8 minutes
So you have a TV, a Chromecast dongle, and a VPN app, but have no idea how to get them to play together? Fear not, this guide is right here. We’ll provide you with all the information you need to provide a VPN connection to your Chromecast.
Surfshark discourages the use of a VPN in ways that are likely to violate the streaming service providers’ terms of service.
4 steps to use Chromecast with VPN
Secure your protection and protect your online privacy with a VPN on Chromecast!
how? It’s easy, here are the steps:
- Set up a VPN on your home or virtual router.
- Choose to connect to a VPN server.
- Connect your Chromecast to your router.
- Stream in peace and quiet.
Now, let’s start setting up this router!
Step 1a. Using Chromecast with a VPN: A Physical Router
For this approach, you will need a file VPN client compatible router and VPN app.
Noticeable: Some VPN routers are not VPN compatible. However, with a little effort, it can be made compatible with a VPN. The process is a bit involved – check out our instructions for getting your VPN router ready.
“What router is compatible with the VPN client?” You ask? we will, It’s a router ready to install a VPN app on it. You can check your router manual or do a quick Google search to find it. Once you do that, you can follow these straightforward steps.
- Open the router configuration panel. Use this by entering files IP in your Browser, Just like url. Finding an IP varies for each operating system.
- to Windows 10 users, this means open “Begins“and write”Command PromptThe opening of this program. There, you have to write “ipconfig” and press “Enters. You should see files IP On the “default gate” Line.
- Mac Users should start by going toSystem Preferences.Then you should find and click on the button “network, select your network connection (Wi-Fi, wired, whatever), and tapadvancedlocated at the bottom. Then go tonetwork“, Locate”TCP / IPAnd watch your router IP about “Router. “
- Follow the instructions of your VPN application. Each VPN app has a different approach when it comes to setup on different types of router firmware. For example, you can look at Surfshark’s instructions for setting up a VPN on Asus routers, DD-WRT routers, and Tomato routers. More can be found in the support section.
- Check if you are online. If not, check if you have executed the instructions correctly. If you are a Surfshark user, contact Surfshark Customer Support.
Step 1b. Using Chromecast with a VPN: A Virtual Router
Sometimes, you don’t have a router handy. Or maybe you don’t want to tackle the issue of making your physical router VPN ready. In this case, you can turn your computer into a virtual router.
Noticeable: This method only works with Windows at the moment.
Setting up a default router for Windows 10
- go to “settings,” and then “network and internet,“and then”Wireless network from the phone.”
- converts the “Wireless network from the phone” employment.
- on the right, underRelated settings“click”Change adapter options.“
- In the new window, right-click on your VPN app connection and choose “Properties.“
- Go to “Sharing tab, “tick”Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection“, And Choose the newly created hotspot in the dropdown menu. Click OK.”
- Your default router is fine!
Set up a default router for older Windows
If you want to set up a default router for Chromecast on an older Windows OS, see below:
- Click on Windows + S. keys at the same time.
- write in “poultice.“
- right click”Command Prompt“select”Run as administratorin the dropdown menu.
- write in “netsh wlan set hosted network mode = allow ssid =[NETWORKNAME] key =[PASSWORD]” And No Press enter.”
- Replace [NETWORKNAME] The name of your new network
- Replace [PASSWORD] Password for your new network
- Press enter.”
- Click on Windows + R. keys at the same time
- write in “ncpa.cpl” And Click OK.”
- Find the contact with the name you chose Step 5.
- Remember the address (first line) of this connection.
- Find your VPN connection. In this example, it’s Surfshark.
- Right click on it and selectPropertiesin the dropdown menu.
- Go to “Sharing tab, “check the”Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”, and choose the hotspot of the address you registered in step 11 in the drop-down list. Click OK.”
- Your virtual router is ready!
Step 2. Set up Chromecast with VPN when the router is ready
Once the router is set up, and the internet is working, finish setting up your VPN for Chromecast by doing this:
- Connect to the VPN server.
- Connect the device you use to control your Chromecast to a Wi-Fi network that is now protected with a VPN. It’s your phone or tablet with the Google Home app on it.
- Set up your Chromecast if you haven’t already. You can follow the official Google guidelines.
- In the Connect Chromecast to Wi-Fi Step, select VPN.
- If you already have a Chromecast set up, connect it to a Wi-Fi network that is protected by a VPN.
- Stream to your heart’s content.
Chromecast and VPN: Benefits
Why use a VPN with Chromecast? Here are some good reasons:
- Overcoming censorship: Which country are you in your favorite Cast-enabled apps are blocked? If you have a VPN turned on, you can bypass this easily.
- Stream in privacy: With a VPN turned on, your ISP cannot log your internet browsing data. So broadcast what you want without leaving a trace!
- Avoid throttling the Internet: When it comes to selectively and purposefully slowing down your internet connection, ISPs consider streaming video among the top targets. Restore your internet speed and enjoy uninterrupted streaming with VPN.
Don’t use Chromecast without protection
Setting up a VPN to work with Chromecast is well worth the effort. If Chromecast gives you the freedom to turn any TV into a smart TV, then a VPN gives you the ability to use a streaming service without broadcasting your data to ISPs, advertisers, and other hackers.
Get started with Surfshark!
With a 30-day money-back guarantee
Knowing as much about VPN as it is healthy for someone who is not a VPN developer
Hand-picked from related articles
How to use a VPN regardless of platform
2021, August 11 Read 16 min
10 Top Rated Netflix Shows Not Available in the US
2021, September 7 Read 7 minutes
Your comment is awaiting moderation.