How to uninstall a VPN [Windows, Android, Mac, iOS]
Why would you want to uninstall a VPN?
You may encounter all kinds of problems when connecting to a VPN, especially if you are using a free VPN, because these VPN providers rarely have such an extensive technical support team. If you are not using a premium service, VPN connections are not always reliable.
“the Internet is very slow.” There are many ways to increase your internet speed and enjoy the benefits of a VPN. It can even prevent your ISP from throttling your bandwidth and increase your speed. If speed is your concern, having a VPN profile might actually be the best idea.
“It doesn’t work on my device.” You can encounter this problem with free VPNs a lot, which is why they are free. If you use a premium VPN like NordVPN, it works across multiple devices without interruption.
“I can’t access certain content.” If the VPN client you are using does not have enough servers, it can be difficult to access your favorite TV shows. NordVPN has over 5,000 servers that allow you to stream anything from anywhere.
“I don’t know how to use it.” You don’t need to be a tech expert to use a VPN, and it only takes a few seconds to connect to the server.
If you’re using NordVPN and we’re not guessing why you’re having a VPN problem, contact our 24/7 customer success team. Our technical experts are ready to help you get what you need and stay safe at any time!
Delete VPN on Windows 10 and 7
Removing a VPN app on Windows 10, 7 or other versions is no different than uninstalling any other software. However, if you want to completely erase any traces of VPN files, this requires additional steps.
Let’s start with your VPN app:
- go to Settings -> apps.
- Choose Applications and Features in the left menu.
- Select your VPN app and click on it.
- click uninstall Confirm by clicking on the popup.
After uninstalling your app, you can also remove the VPN connection:
- go to Settings -> Network and the Internet.
- tap on Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your VPN connection.
- Choose delete.
We also recommend deleting the old TAP drivers. These are used by VPN services to connect to servers and may remain on your computer even after you uninstall the VPN app.
- go to control Board -> device Manager.
- expansion in network adapters Section.
- Right click on the old driver.
- Choose uninstall, then confirm it.
After getting rid of an untrustworthy VPN app, you can take your online security to the next level and get NordVPN for Windows.
Delete VPN on Android
Removing a VPN on Android is as simple as deleting any other app. Just follow these steps to delete your VPN software:
- go to Settings -> Network and the Internet.
- tap on VPN.
- Select the VPN setup icon.
- tap on Forget VPN.
- Confirm your action by clicking forget.
After getting rid of a suspicious VPN app, it’s time to try the real one and get NordVPN for Android.
Delete VPN on Mac
Removing an app on macOS is easy and takes no more than two seconds. Heres how to do it:
- Disconnect your VPN connection completely and exit the application.
- go to Applications Folder.
- Right click on your VPN app and select Move to trash.
- Confirm your action.
You can also delete your app simply by dragging it to the trash.
After uninstalling an untrustworthy VPN app, we recommend you to get NordVPN for Mac. It’s a top-notch VPN that might not be like any other VPN you’ve tried.
Delete VPN on iOS
Removing a VPN from your iPhone or any other iOS device is no different than deleting any other software on your smartphone. Heres how to do it:
- Touch and hold the app.
- Faucet remove the app.
- Faucet Delete the app, then press delete For confirmation.
After getting rid of a shady VPN, it’s time to switch to a widely respected VPN provider and get NordVPN for iOS. This will enhance your security and prove that a trustworthy VPN is not a scam.
Delete VPN Extensions
If you are intent on clearing VPN software and all related software, you can also delete VPN extensions from your browser. VPNs often offer extensions for popular browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
This allows you to route all traffic from that specific browser app through a VPN. Why is this useful? Because it means that you can use a VPN for certain activities and not others. Some people just want their data encrypted while using certain websites – especially if they don’t trust those sites to protect their privacy – so you can install an extension on a specific browser that you only use to access those sites.
Should you try a free VPN?
If your concerns about VPNs stem from pricing and affordability, you might be tempted to try a free VPN. After all, what’s the worst that could happen?
Some bad things, actually! For one thing, free VPNs can put you and your data at risk. Free VPNs often sell user data to third-party advertisers, losing the purpose of their service. And since they rarely have the money to maintain proper security protocols and server networks, you’ll get a much lower level of protection while using them.
With a premium VPN, you get what you pay for: really good service. Due to their business model, paid VPNs can properly protect your data, and will not sell you to online data collectors. You will get better service, speed and stability.
Why you should not remove NordVPN
Unless you want to fall victim to cybercriminals and give up your online privacy, removing NordVPN is a bad idea. It is usually better to manage VPNs and tweak certain settings rather than completely deleting the app. If you are not satisfied with your current experience, check your VPN settings and make sure you are using the best options for your needs.
If you cancel your NordVPN subscription and delete the app, you will be exposed to all kinds of dangers online and you will have to surf the internet without privacy.
Take a deep breath, then another, and read the reasons why you should remove your good old friend NordVPN from your device.
- Secure your online activities. There is no happier day for a hacker than when someone removes the VPN and exposes themselves on the Internet. It’s like leaving your apartment unlocked.
- Bypass censorship. There are few governments that control what their citizens can see, read and think. If you live or travel in one of those countries, a VPN is your way to regain freedom on the Internet.
- Digital identity protection. After the VPN is removed, you will reveal your digital identity. ISPs or Wi-Fi snoopers will track what you do online, marketers will collect your data, and violators will wait until you make a mistake while paying taxes.
- Save money when shopping online. A VPN is great if you want to save money online. Retailers often adjust their prices based on location, so you can cycle through NordVPN’s different servers and look for the best deal.
If you still think it’s a good idea to delete your VPN profile, you can cancel your NordVPN subscription at any time from your Nord account dashboard. Then, just follow the steps above to delete the app.
If you decide to return, we will always be there for you. And if you are not satisfied with your current VPN, you can always try NordVPN’s 30-day free trial.
Secure your data and protect your privacy
Get the world’s leading VPN.