Should you buy a lifetime VPN subscription? 2022
Advertiser Disclosure: At Slickdeals, we work hard to find the best deals. Some of the products in our articles are from partners who may offer us compensation, but that doesn’t change our opinions.
Cyber security and privacy are becoming increasingly important. Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, provide a way to get more privacy online and serve as a place for you and a website to meet halfway. Instead of connecting to the site directly (and possibly exposing private data like your location), you can use a VPN to do so, and the site sees the VPN data instead.
It’s an easy-to-use service, whether you want to protect your privacy or access off-market content. But are VPN services worth paying in the long run, or perhaps for life? We’re taking a look at whether a lifetime VPN subscription is good for you – and your wallet.
What is your need?
Before buying, you will need to think about what you need and want from your VPN. There are some common use cases to consider:
- Privacy: VPNs are commonly used to protect your data online, especially when accessing your accounts from public Wi-Fi networks.
- Access to geo-restricted websites: Some websites, such as streaming sites, are ‘geo-blocked’, which means you cannot access them outside of a certain geographic area. VPNs can give you a closer IP address to access your favorites. This is especially useful if you travel frequently, as you don’t have to worry about missing out on your favorite sports matches just because you’re out of the local market.
- Access to private networks: If you run a personal network at home, or have to access one for work, a VPN provides more efficient and secure access. It may be mandated by some employers.
Ask yourself how often do you really need a VPN. For sporadic, low-data situations, like checking your email securely on the road, especially if you’re only going to use it on one device, the free service might be the best option. For long-term positions, you may want to start pricing on what you need and how much it will cost.
How much do lifetime subscriptions cost?
With most products, the more upfront you buy, the lower your total cost. The same is true for VPN services. Usually, buying a long-term or lifetime subscription will give you the best overall price. However, it is important to note that the word “for life” means the company and not the customer.
Operating and maintaining a VPN costs a lot of money; It can include thousands of servers in dozens of countries. So what happens when a group of lifetime customers is taken advantage of?
In some cases, the company goes bankrupt. In other cases, there are service limits under a lifetime subscription, such as data or device limits. Additionally, you may have to deal with monthly fees for added services or with in-app ads. I
It’s even possible to sell the company to a competitor who changes the agreement and turns the service you like into something you never use. You will have to weigh these risks and inconveniences against the value of the service.
However, the best way to avoid these issues is to take a look at the company’s past practices and financial health before purchasing their VPN. It’s also helpful to take a closer look at the finer details: Some VPNs may limit the number of devices you can use, or “throttle” the speed of your traffic once you reach a certain data limit.
Prominent VPN Pricing & Network
Not sure where to start when it comes to finding a VPN service? We’ve rounded up some of the best names in the world of VPN subscriptions to give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.
NordVPN – Selling price: $5.75 a month | Reg. Price: $11.95 per month, $83.88 annually, $119.76 for two years, or $125.64 for three years
Windscribe – reg. Price: Free up to 10 GB per month, $9 per month unlimited access, $49 per year
TorGuard – Reg. Price: $9.99 per month, $59.99 per year
Norton VPN – Reg. Price: $4.99 per month, $39.99 for the first year
Tunnelbear – Reg. Price: Free for 500MB, $10 per month, $60 per year, or $120 for three years
Express VPN – Reg. Price: $12.95 per month, $60 for six months, $100 for one year.
By contrast, here are some recent lifetime VPN deals from the Slickdeals forums. [Ed. Note]: Below are recent examples of lifetime VPN offers as of August 2020, and by definition, these deals may not last permanently.
Fastest VPN: Selling price: $20 | Reg. Price: $1600
KeepSolid VPN: selling price: $15 to $30 | Reg. Price: $199.99
VeePN: Selling price: $18 | Reg. Price: $440
SlickVPN: selling price: $15 | Reg. Price: $1200
Overall, it’s rare to see a “lifetime” subscription over $40. And if you’re willing to take the risk that the company will last at least a year – which it generally seems – it might be worth it for the price alone.
However, if you are looking for long-term stability and exceptional performance, a multi-year subscription from a prominent name in the industry, such as NordVPN or Norton, might be the best choice.
When can you find the best VPN deals?
There has been a flurry of VPN deals in the past few months due to the pandemic and the sudden need for non-essential workers to do everything from home. However, when you step back and look at the general trend, there are a few traits that come into play regarding when the best time to buy a VPN subscription is.
- VPN service deals tend to appear at least once per month. However, whether these deals are from unknown brands or major players in Internet security varies. In these cases, reviews should be your guide. Never buy a VPN subscription from an unknown company without doing your research first.
- Sales tend to emerge in the wake of major tech purchase events, such as after Christmas or around back-to-school season. Everyone has a new laptop or tablet to think about, which leads to increased demand for security products, as well as discounts.
- Watch the news cycle. When a major data breach or breach attempt appears in the news, there is an outburst of marketing around Internet security products. Discounts on key products often range from 25% to 50%, especially for annual subscriptions or lifetime access.
One aspect that came up in our research is that service packages tend to offer the best value.
VPNs tend to be included in other security products such as password managers and antivirus software. So if you are in the market for these services as well, consider a bundle bundled with a VPN from a brand you trust.
Are you ready to indulge in a VPN subscription? Set a deal alert for your preferred provider and we’ll notify you when new offers hit our forums. Additionally, check out the best VPN service deals here.
Our editors strive to ensure that the information in this article is accurate as of the date of publication, but please keep in mind that offerings can change. We encourage you to check all terms and conditions of any product before placing an order.