Tips to Install and Use a VPN for Firestick / Fire TV: Complete Guide
This guide shows two methods on how to select and install a VPN for Firestick. It also provides several tips that can enhance the overall streaming experience on the device.
Amazon Firestick has been a revolutionary device in the world of streaming. This streaming device offers a great streaming experience with its great user interface and Android app support. The latter was a huge selling point as users Hundreds of streaming apps can be installed Available for the popular Android platform. These apps range from third-party apps like CinemaHD to subscription-based apps like Netflix and Disney Plus.
However, Streaming on Firestick is never complete without a good VPN for streaming. This is because You’ll either need a VPN to stream anonymously or use one to get around streaming restrictions. The likes of Netflix and Disney+ use geo-restrictions that provide formatted titles for a specific country, With so many titles available only to users in other regions. A good VPN helps circumvent these restrictions.
✋ However, Not all VPNs are suitable for streamingSo first let’s take a look at why we should choose a streaming VPN with care.
How to choose a VPN for Firestick
VPNs are made differently, and different VPNs suit different purposes. For example, some VPNs specialize in offering anonymity to professional users, so they don’t focus on the interface or even develop apps for different devices. And therefore…
What makes a VPN suitable for streaming on Firestick?
- Unlimited Bandwidth: Streaming takes a lot of bandwidth, so you’ll need a provider that doesn’t restrict the amount of bandwidth you can use.
- Speed: To make sure you can stream in 1080p and 4K quality without buffering, choose a VPN that doesn’t have a huge impact on your speeds.
- Unlocks Streaming Services: Almost all streaming services have geo-restrictions in place to comply with licensing policies, and they have blocked VPNs to prevent circumvention of these policies. However, some VPNs have gone the extra mile to make sure their service always works with the best streaming services.
- Application for Firestick: Firestick is all about installing apps, so what’s the point of a VPN if you can’t install it on the device? The best VPN for Firestick must have an app in the Fire TV app store, and if not, it must have an Android app that works fine with Firestick.
The above factors should be on top of other standard VPN considerations, such as server network, user interface, privacy, and security standards, among others.
We know this all sounds a bit overwhelming You have to analyze each VPN using the above factors, but don’t worry; We have done the hard work for you. Below is a selection of the best VPNs for Firestick.
3 Best VPNs for Firestick
Our selection of the best VPNs for streaming on Firestick is based on the results of direct testing and extensive research.
IPVanish is one of the most popular VPNs, and was among the first VPNs to offer a dedicated app, Firestick. VPN is One of only two VPNs that owns and controls its own network of servers, which makes it extremely reliable. VPN consists of More than 1900 servers spread across 75 locations and sharing 40,000+ IP addresses.
Several features make IPVanish suitable for streaming on Firestick. These include Excellent speeds, protocol selection, split tunneling, torrenting support. like that Works with Netflix and Disney +, So you can use it to access addresses that are not available in your country.
VPN is Very easy to use, comes with a file 30-day 100% money-back guarantee on all annual plans.
- Works with Netflix US and Disney Plus
- Self-owned server network
- Strong privacy and security
- split tunneling
- supports torrents
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fantastic customer service
- Based in the United States
- Does not support Bitcoin
With 15 years of experience, CyberGhost has grown exponentially over the past few years and now offers a server network consisting of 7,300 VPN servers spread across 91 countries.. But apart from that, VPN is well known for its par excellence Awesome full-featured apps.
VPN offers features including Dedicated streaming servers, split tunnels, ad and malware blocking, multiprotocol, kill switch. It has an app on the Amazon App Store, which you can use to unblock 15+ streaming services. These include Netflix (multiple countries), Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, and Hotstar.
CyberGhost comes with a file Premium 1-day trial and 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Free trial for one day
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Based in Romania
- Excellent privacy and security
- full specification
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Live chat is not available 24/7
Surfshark VPN has only been around since 2016, but it is already one of the most popular VPNs and among the best VPNs for Netflix. This is due to VPN Exceptional streaming capacity and advanced features.
This VPN has 3200+ servers in 65 countries, all servers are running on a private DNS. Other features you get with a VPN include Split tunneling, blur mode, ad blocker, multiple hops, and unlimited simultaneous connections.
Surfshark Offers 18 Netflix Library, and you can also use it in Unblock Disney+, Hulu, HBO and Amazon Prime, And many other streaming services. VPN also has a file SmartDNS for broadcastingAnd it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans.
- Very fast
- It is based in the British Virgin Islands and keeps zero records.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Simple but full-featured apps
- All servers support P2P
- Works with Netflix and other streaming services
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Can’t choose between protocols
How to install a VPN on Firestick
All of the above apps offer Fire Stick/TV apps that can be installed directly from the official Fire TV Store. If you have a VPN that does not provide such an app, we will also show you how to sideload it.
Method 1: Amazon App Store
Follow the instructions below to install the VPN of your choice. In this guide, we will be using IPVanish as it is the VPN we recommend for Firestick.
- First of all, run a good VPN. Highly recommend Use a reliable VPN Like the ones mentioned above. You can Use the promotional links below and choose one of your favourites:
- From you main screen, go to You find and then Search.
- in the window that opens, Type and search IPVanish.
- The application must be displayed as a file First choice. Select it.
- Now, click Loading.
- After downloading and installing, you will now get a file to open Selection. You can then Log in to the app with your credentials.
From there, you can connect to a server or explore the different features and capabilities of a VPN.
Method 2: Sideloading a VPN
Sideloading is basically a workaround for installing apps that are not available on the official Fire TV store. It’s a longer process, but it’s worth it since you can install all your favorite apps.
Step 1: Install Downloader
Downloader is a useful app that helps users to install third-party apps on Firestick and Android TV devices like Xiaomi Mi Stick. can be used for Find, download and install Apk apps.
Installing Downloader on Firestick is very easy as the app is available in the Amazon App Store.
- From your home screen, go to You find option and click Search.
- In the search bar, type to download and click Search.
- The application should be shown as a first option. Select it and click Loading.
- After downloading and installing, you will now get a file to open Selection. There is no need to open it yet; Just go back to the main screen.
Step 2: Enable installation from unknown sources
After installing the Downloader, you will now need to allow your device to install third-party apps downloaded through the app.
- While in the device’s home screen, go to Settings and choose My Fire TV.
- to open Developer options.
- his job Applications from unknown sources.
If you are using Firestick Gen 3 or Firestick Lite, the option will be Unknown apps. Once selected, you will see Downloader, and you can then click on it to turn on the option.
The downloader can now be used to install apps, however you may want to Boost your privacy if you don’t (plus use a VPN).
Go back to the home screen, then Click Settings > Preferences > Privacy Settings. Now stop”Device usage data” And, the most important, Application usage data collection.“
This will prevent Amazon from collecting data on the apps you use.
Step 3: Install IPVanish on Firestick
To install IPVanish on Firestick we will be using the app we just installed.
- If you haven’t done so yet, First, you need to sign up for IPVanish VPN.
- Open Downloader and go to the URL section. Type ipvanish.com/vpn-setup and click He goes.
- This will take you to the VP download page. click Loading.
- In the next window, choose the apk option.
- The VPN app should start downloading now, and you will be prompted to install it. Click Install.
- After the installation is complete, click he did.
From there, you will get an option to delete the apk file and save space. Next, go to the Applications section, and you will find the new VPN application.
Most Firestick VPN apps have a quick connect button that allows you to connect to the optimal server, depending on your location.
You can also select the server you want and customize the connection under Settings.
When you are satisfied, you can connect to the server.
Can’t find an app even with a VPN?
Sometimes, you may not find an app you are looking for in the Amazon store, even if the app has a Firestick version. This is the case with most streaming apps, and it is also true of many VPN apps.
The above happens because Some Fire TV apps are geo-restricted and only available in permitted regions. For example, the BBC iPlayer app can only be downloaded in the United Kingdom, the region where the app operates.
To overcome the above limitations, you need to Change your Firestick’s location/area, we have a detailed guide for you. From there, you can use your VPN to access the content available on the app.
Some Useful VPN Features for Firestick
Most of the VPNs that offer Firestick app also include some features that you can explore to enhance your streaming experience.
Auto Connect is a useful feature Helps keep your VPN connected at all times. Your VPN app will also start and connect to your last server automatically when you start up the device. This helps avoid the hassle of connecting to your VPN every time before you can start streaming.
Split tunneling is a useful feature Lets users decide which apps should pass through the VPN and which ones should not. This means that you can set an app like Netflix to go through the VPN while the rest of the device works as normal. You can also select which apps you want to bypass the VPN.
For example, if you are in the UK, you can connect the VPN to a server in the US to access US Netflix titles but exclude BBC iPlayer because it only works in the UK.
VPN protocols are useful for routing your traffic, but they also affect the speed you get. Some protocols provide more security and lower speed, while others do just the opposite. If you only want to use your VPN for streaming, you can maximize speeds by selecting a lighter protocol.
PPTP is the fastest VPN protocol due to its weak encryption, and other modern protocols like WireGuard are super fast. L2TP and IKEv2 are also fast, but OpenVPN and SSTP are a lot slower.
VPN not working well on Firestick?
In cases where you sideload the VPN, the app may not be fully compatible with the Firestick remote. In such a case, You may need to create a mouse-like controller. There are several ways to do this, but The best and easiest way is to use Mouse Toggle. This app provides a pointer to the Firestick, which can be easily activated and deactivated using the Firestick remote control. Below is a guide on how to install…