What is a VPN on iPhone?
Privacy has become a vital component of our digital lives and as a result, there has been a lot of discussion about digital privacy in recent years. As our personal devices have evolved over time, especially mobile devices like cell phones, tablets, and laptops, they have started carrying more and more of our important and sensitive data like private photos, passwords, emails, financial data, etc. It becomes critically important to protect this data as we go on with our lives, and one of the words that often comes up in these privacy-focused discussions is “VPN”. What is this “VPN” and why exactly do you need it for your privacy? Let’s explain.
What is a VPN?
VPN means “Virtual Private Network“It is a private, secure connection between two devices connected over a network, often the Internet. Think of it as a secure, encrypted tunnel between two devices, so that no one outside the tunnel can intercept the communication between those two devices. This allows the two devices to send and receive private or confidential data and information between each other. some.
In very simple terms, it’s kind of like connecting to a website via https (SSL) where all the traffic between you and the website is encrypted and secured. A VPN secures and displays all network traffic between your device (client) and the VPN server, which includes websites as well as apps.
VPNs have traditionally been used by businesses and organizations for internal communication and data transfer requirements, such as giving employees the ability to securely access corporate data from their home networks. However, in recent times, VPNs are becoming more and more popular with many internet users as well. Today, having a VPN on your iPhone has many advantages and benefits – not only do you get an extra layer of privacy, but you can also access geo-restricted websites, bypass censorship, and secure your data while connected to public Wi-Fi networks.
How does a VPN work on an iPhone?
When downloading a file VPN app for iPhone Like the docs by Readdle with its new VPN feature, it creates a private VPN configuration profile that installs in your iPhone’s settings. Once installed, you will be able to enable/disable the VPN session directly from the app and also manually select the country of the VPN server you want to connect to. With a single click, you can enable the VPN on your iPhone using the Documents app. Even if you leave the app, the VPN connection remains active and protects and secures all your data.
When the VPN feature is turned on, all network traffic to and from your iPhone will be transmitted through the VPN server through a secure and encrypted connection. Your iPhone and the server will act as if they are on the same local network.
- When you open a website in the browser, or use any application that uses the Internet, the request first goes to the VPN server.
- The VPN server forwards this request to the respective website or URL endpoint.
- Any response sent from the website/URL is received by the VPN server and relayed back to your iPhone via the same secure VPN connection.
Effectively, instead of the connection occurring iPhone → Internet Via an insecure channel, this happens in the form of iPhone → VPN Server → Internet Where the “iPhone → VPN Server” connection is protected as follows:
To understand exactly how a VPN works on your iPhone, let’s look at some examples from the real world:
a. Hide browsing activity on public Wi-Fi or local ISPs
One of the most popular uses of a VPN is its ability to secure and hide your browsing activity from your local ISP network or when you are on unsecured public Wi-Fi networks, such as airports or coffee shops. Most of these public Wi-Fi are offered for free and in return, you can snooze on customers’ privacy by reading their browsing habits, e-commerce purchases, social media activities, etc. In order to protect yourself and your data from Internet service providers and networks, you can enable VPN on your iPhone.
Once the VPN is enabled, your iPhone creates a secure, encrypted tunnel to the fortified VPN servers and all traffic between the two is hidden from local ISPs and public Wi-Fi networks. Since the connection is encrypted, they will not be able to intercept any data or violate your privacy.
B. Access to geo-restricted websites
Let’s say you are currently on vacation in Europe and would like to watch some of your favorite shows from Hulu US on your iPhone. If you directly access the Hulu website, you may see an error or not be able to access the same catalog.
with the help of VPN app for iPhoneYou can create a secure VPN connection between your iPhone and a VPN server that is physically located in the United States. By doing so, you will be able to access Hulu as if you were also in the US. The VPN server transfers all the traffic between the iPhone and Hulu servers. Regarding Hulu servers, you are in the United States.
How do I set up a VPN on iPhone?
Here are some notable advantages of using a VPN on iPhone:
What are the advantages of a VPN and why do I need a VPN on my iPhone?
- Remote connection to the office network – You can use VPN technology to remotely access private and confidential data stored on the office network from anywhere in the world. You can set up a VPN server on your local office network and connect to this server via VPN. Most modern offices today, Readdle included, require their employees to be on a VPN in order to access important data. This also prevents chances of unauthorized access to company data.
- Access to geo-restricted websites This is one of the most popular use cases for VPNs today. Most VPN apps, including the new Documents app, give you access to multiple VPN servers around the world, allowing you to manually choose the desired location if needed. This way, you can choose to browse geo-restricted or region-based versions of websites from anywhere in the world.
- Hide browsing activity on public Wi-Fi or local ISPs – As detailed in the above example, VPN helps you secure all browsing activity on your devices when you are connected to public Wi-Fi networks in airports, coffee shops or have an unethical local ISP.
- Network speed exceeded throttle Some local or major ISPs in many places around the world choose to throttle the speeds of certain websites or services. You can jump on a VPN connection to bypass this limitation, because a VPN tunnel makes it nearly impossible for your ISP to detect what’s going on between your device and the VPN server, and thus, makes it impossible to selectively throttle speeds.
- Test the site or apps – VPN connection helps you to test the availability of your website to users in different countries around the world. You can troubleshoot any loading or speed issues with your website or app, and fix them easily by simulating network access via VPN.
- Remote home network connection Similar to how you connect to your office network to access data, you can set up a VPN server at home and connect to it remotely to access your private data stored on your home network, such as photos, videos, or movies and TV shows. Most modern routers come with VPN software built into them.
- Bypassing local censorship laws – If you live in a country that has implemented censorship to block or limit access to certain sites or services, you can theoretically use a VPN to bypass these restrictions. However, going against local laws is not something we recommend.
What is the best VPN for iPhone?
There is no shortage of VPN services in the market today. There are many free and paid VPN sites and services that offer a wide range of features and claim to protect your digital privacy and secure your data. Unfortunately, many of these VPN services fly at night and there are many cases where VPN providers have leaked important data of users. That is why it is so important to choose a good VPN app that respects your privacy and values your data. Running a VPN server is not cheap, so if any VPN app claims to provide access to multiple VPN servers for a small monthly fee, it is best to stay away from it. You need a VPN app that offers a great set of features, an easy-to-use interface, and a selection of VPN servers spread all over the world.
This is why Documents is the best VPN app for iPhone. Documents are Super application of file actions on your iOS devices and now comes with a powerful VPN feature that makes your online life easier, faster and more secure. You can choose from VPN servers in 27 countries and get lightning fast speeds. The VPN feature works even when the app is not being used, so you will always be safe. The Documents app is now more than just a file manager for iOS and comes with an impressive set of features to help you work with all types of files on your device.
Get documents for free And start enjoying the benefits of VPN on your iPhone.