What is NordVPN Kill Switch and how does it work?
Kill Switch is a feature that helps you prevent unprotected access to the Internet when your traffic does not pass through NordVPN’s server.
NordVPN apps use a few different versions of the Kill Switch:
- PC version of Kill Switch, available in NordVPN Apps for Windows (App Kill Switch) And Mac (OpenVPN version), terminates the applications you specify if the VPN connection suddenly drops, preventing these applications from sending unprotected traffic to the Internet.
- the Internet cut key advantage in windows The application disables Internet access system-wide if the VPN connection suddenly drops or you disconnect manually. In this way, it protects all applications without terminating them.
- Portable version of Kill Switch in iOS The app as well as in IKEv2 app for Mac Disables system-wide internet access if the VPN connection drops suddenly, thus protecting all applications without terminating them. It will also try to reconnect you to the last server you were connected to. This feature is enabled by default and does not appear in the app’s settings as a separate option.
- kill switch employment Android version 8.0 or later It works just like a system-wide Kill Switch, Block any access to the Internet when there is no VPN connection.
- Most devices (by ROM) that run on Android version 7.0 or later You have Always on VPN function, which prevents leakage in case the VPN connection drops suddenly. To enable it, go to Settings > Connections > More connection settings > VPN. Tap the gear icon next to NordVPN and enable the Always-on VPN toggle.
- NordVPN Client for Linux Disable Internet access at the system level If the VPN connection suddenly cut off and you Unplug manually. You can enable the Kill Switch feature by typing the code nordvpn set killswitch on ordering. If you want to disable the Kill Switch feature, write a file nordvpn group kill ordering. You can find the current status of the Kill Switch by typing the code nordvpn settings ordering.
Find more information about Dedicated Kill Switch VPN pageWhere we explain how you can use it.
Tip: The security of your VPN connection depends on your account password as well. Don’t forget to use a strong password on your account, it will help you avoid credential stuffing attacks and will keep your connections safe and uninterrupted.
Since creating and remembering strong and secure passwords is not an easy task, we recommend downloading the free password manager – NordPass. It generates secure passwords for you and stores them securely, allowing you to avoid wasting time resetting your password in the future.