WhatsApp Call UAE and Dubai
Anyone who has tried to make video calls or voice calls via WhatsApp only in Dubai knows that, along with many other VoIP services, it is completely blocked. However, with a powerful enough VPN, you can unblock the popular voice and chat app from within the UAE, and have conversations completely anonymously. We review our favorite providers to get around the ban in Dubai below.
Most VoIP services are blocked in Dubai and other Emirates, including Abu Dhabi, and WhatsApp – with its built-in convenient features for voice and video calling – is no exception. One way to get around this ban is to get a VPN, which gets around these countermeasures by giving you an external IP address. It will also encrypt your data, making it invisible to government censorship, hackers, or any other third-party intrusion.
Do you need to unblock WhatsApp calls in the UAE? Do it safely with the following VPNs:
- NordVPN – Best VPN for United Arab Emirates NordVPN is a very popular provider in Dubai, thanks to the countless privacy provisions that limit the UAE’s ban on WhatsApp calling.
- Surfshark – Diskless infrastructure, mass obfuscation, and military encryption have been corrupted by government censorship.
- ExpressVPN – When speed is your number one priority, trust one of the fastest networks in the industry.
- CyberGhost – A public VPN with specialized provisions for geo-blocking hacking.
- PrivateVPN – This provider owns and manages their entire network, which means no third party snoops on your VPN connection.
- PureVPN – Has years of experience working with the Great Chinese Firewall. Easily beats UAE VoIP blocks.
If you are not content cut off from the rest of the world using WhatsApp, then this is the article for you. We’ll show you what makes a good VPN, recommend some of the best, show you how to use them to unblock WhatsApp calls in Dubai and the rest of the UAE, and conclude with a word of warning against state-approved WhatsApp alternatives available in the UAE.
30 day money back guarantee
What makes a good VPN for voice calls in UAE and Dubai?
When using VoIP applications in the UAE, you will want to judge your VPN options by the following criteria:
- Server network size – The more servers in the network, the more countries you can get a local IP from. This makes it easy to unblock WhatsApp in the UAE and also gives you a chance to download the app in any language you feel comfortable with.
- encryption protocols The UAE can be strict in terms of censorship, and blatant when it comes to looking at your personal data. To protect your data and hide the fact that you are using WhatsApp, you will need to use a VPN provider with strong encryption. The best formats to look for are UDP and TCP from OpenVPN, which combine the best in business security, speed, and compatibility.
- Registration Policy Whether you are a traveler, permanent resident or digital nomad, the UAE can attempt to obtain your information from your VPN provider by asking them directly or applying political and commercial pressure. A strong logging policy can prevent this by having your VPN service keep no logs of what you do online. Specifically search for the words ‘no registration’ and ‘no registration’.
- Speed and bandwidth limits – Voice and video calls may require a significant amount of speed and bandwidth. A VPN service that limits the amount of data you can download and send is a bad option, so look for providers that don’t limit uptime, limit your speeds, or burden your connection with excessive encryption.
Best VPNs to Bypass VoIP Ban in UAE
Below, we present the best VPNs with the privacy and performance features needed to unblock Ultra HD WhatsApp video calls in United Arab Emirates
NordVPN is a VPN service known for its powerful privacy and anti-censorship features. It uses military-grade AES 256-bit encryption to protect your data from all third parties, including governments and ISPs – excellent for dealing with heavy UAE authorities. The company’s no-logs policy is comprehensive and covers traffic, IP addresses, bandwidth, and more.
But what really sets NordVPN apart are its specialized servers; There are a total of six types, including obfuscated servers that hide the fact that you’re using a VPN, as well as dual VPN nodes that route your data through two layers of security and two proxies for ultimate protection. And as deep as the network goes, it also expands to include more than 5,000 servers in 62 countries around the world. This means that you can have any version of WhatsApp you want, and choose the servers that give you the best possible connection speeds and low latency for your calls. This is part of the reason why NordVPN is routinely ranked as one of the fastest VPNs on the market in our reviews and speed tests.
Some VPN apps are hard to use – but NordVPN, which works on virtually all popular types of devices, is surprisingly straightforward considering how powerful the app is. The software complements a host of advanced features including ad and malware blockers, a kill switch, and a built-in DNS leak test.
Read the full NordVPN review.
- Very affordable plans
- A bewildering number of servers
- DNS leak protection, a kill switch
- Double data protection
- Great support (chat 24/7).
- It may take up to 30 days for refunds to be processed.
Don’t be fooled by Surfshark’s newcomer status; In just a couple of years, it has become one of the best VPNs in the world for overcoming government censorship and unblocking communication apps like WhatsApp. They achieved this feat by completely updating their standard VPN offering, with some great cybersecurity additions.
Surfshark uses the same unbreakable encryption as NSA: 256-AES-GCM encryption. Combined with the sophisticated tunneling protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, WireGuard), you will find that the harsh censorship in the UAE is actually not that difficult. Of course, Surfshark is ready to up the ante, with blanket jamming across their entire network.
And speaking of networking, Surfshark has over 800 respected servers in 50 countries. This means that you have plenty of options to spoof a nearby IP address for fast and lag-free WhatsApp calls. Don’t worry about leaving any traces behind either, Surfshark’s logging policy is gold, backed by RAM only servers which can’t store user metadata long term.
- Unblock 15 international Netflix libraries, including the US and Japan
- Choosing a dead server is simple and fast
- 30 day satisfaction guarantee
- The favorable BVI state ensures no records are kept
- Responsive customer support is available 24/7.
- Connection speeds won’t impress users of other high-end VPNs
- Young VPN still has a lot of room for growth in terms of advanced functionality.
Read our full Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN is another good option for most of the Gulf countries – and the UAE is no exception to this rule. The service is so secure, with a selection of 256-bit AES encryption protocols that a supercomputer could take millions of years to crack. One of them is SSTP, which helps get around the limitations of strict censorship – and can give you access to WhatsApp no matter where you are. Additionally, ExpressVPN has a robust no-logs policy that covers browsing logs, IP addresses, traffic, and more. If you want to protect your call data and identity while using WhatsApp calls in Dubai, this is an excellent choice.
Another reason to choose ExpressVPN is the service and quality of the technology. With more than 3000 nodes in more than 94 countries, you can access most of the local app stores and access WhatsApp in any language of your choice. With its suite of lightweight applications, installing the service on all popular devices, including routers, is easy – and takes just minutes. Speed, server switches, and bandwidth are all unlimited, allowing for long, clear calls. There are also a bunch of additional features, like DNS leak testing that makes sure your data is secure – and split tunneling, allowing you to use WhatsApp calls without directing the rest of your online activities through your VPN.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Special offer: 3 months free (49% off – link below)
- 3000+ super fast servers
- No DNS/IP Leaks Found
- Strict no-logs policy
- Customer service (24/7 chat).
- 3 simultaneous connections max
- A little more expensive than some of the other options.
CyberGhost is the perfect choice if you just want to start using WhatsApp audio and video calls in the UAE without going through a complicated installation process. Instead of requiring you to choose servers and configurations manually, CyberGhost lets you choose from six preset configuration profiles. It also has a bunch of easy toggles, such as Block Online Tracking and Over Speed. Among all these extras, using WhatsApp calls in the UAE is safe and easy – even if you don’t have much (if any) IT knowledge.
CyberGhost has a robust set of encryption protocols, including OpenVPN’s UDP and TCP (two advanced technologies used by militaries and special operations teams). The logging policy is so perfect that it stores almost nothing, not even your email address.
With 5900 servers in 90 countries, OpenVPN enables fast connections, and gives you the opportunity to download any version of WhatsApp you prefer. All of this comes with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited speed, unlimited server switches, and up to 5 simultaneous device connections – making CyberGhost the best choice for online users of all types. Dedicated apps are available for a variety of devices: iPhones, Android smartphones, macOS/Linux/Windows computers, routers, video game consoles, and more.
Read the full CyberGhost review.
- Unblock Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Hulu
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) torrenting is allowed.
- 2048 bits of RSA keys and SHA256 authentication
- Private: Strong no-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat support.
- It does not work well in China.
PrivateVPN is one of the most experienced providers out there. The only possible cash point for this provider is landing on its server network, which includes more than 150 servers in more than 60 countries. However, in practice, you’ll find that this is more than enough to get solid connections to IP addresses all over the world – not to mention any local language version of WhatsApp you might want. Most importantly, all of PrivateVPN’s servers are exceptionally powerful – and equipped with a variety of encryption protocols, including OpenVPN’s UDP, TCP, PPTP, L2TP, IKEV2, and IPSec.
The passcodes used to encrypt PrivateVPN are 2048 bits (via AES-256) – which means they have more potential differences than those in the known universe. Between this and a strict no-logs policy that makes it almost…